Subject: [bitcoin-core-dev] unit-tests

From: marco.falke () tum ! de (Marco Falke)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:14:17 +0000

Hello, and great to hear that you want to help with writing tests. Of
course tests are always welcome, especially tests that accompany an
already merged bug fix, which came with no regression tests initially.
Also, test are welcome for new feature which are still missing even
the most basic tests.

Just to name a few examples:

* I think "Store mempool and prioritization data to disk #8448" has no
test in our python test suite, as the bug fixed in
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9596 was not detected. You can
start a new python test in the qa/ subdir or modify an existing one to
reproduce a failure when #9596 is not applied and have the test pass
as soon as #9596 is applied.

* Similarly there is an open issue (#4082) where the wallet would
create a fee too large. We don't have tests for this, and due to the
"randomness" in coin selection I think it might be tricky to get a
working test case, so don't worry if you can't write one on the first
try. You might want to look at other open issues/pull request to find
easier targets for wallet tests. (Maybe the separation of fee rates,
c.f. #9589, is a good place to start?)

* If you want something to get started quickly, you can improve
existing test. For example there are minor issues such as
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/9377#discussion_r95914101
which make the tests harder to read/understand. This specific case
should not cause an issue, but I still think it could be improved.

* And lastly, you can always help to review tests in open pull request
and then write feedback to the author what you think could be
improved.

Let me know if you need more help getting started.
Also, you can drop by in the developer chat (as mentioned in the previous mail).

Marco

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Bhamidi Krishna via bitcoin-core-dev
<bitcoin-core-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> hello and apologies if this is a wrong forum to post to. Can I help by
> writing some unit-tests? If yes, any priority and what should I look at? My
> preference would be bitcoin wallet, but I am open to any project.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-core-dev mailing list
> bitcoin-core-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-core-dev
>